Sunday, November 23, 2008

Total Tear Down!!!



Well I posted all my findings about loose valves and missing spring retainer parts and the consensus in the Ascot Yahoo group was to pull the head and take a look... pulling the head requires pulling the MOTOR!!! Saturday I set out on this adventure and it was a task. The main issue I figured I'd have is physically getting it out and in a workable position without dropping it or banging it around too much. The Clymer manual recommends 3 people but says 2 is doable. I lifted the engine fine by myself so I guess I'm as strong as 3 men? Sweet!

As expected the one unrestrained intake valve was hanging into the cylinder a bit. I'm going to take the head into a machine shop and have it redone. I'll probably have to replace the hanging valve. Also of note was the next suprise... there were some "nicks" or "dents" in the piston. See...



I don't think they are a major problem but I have no idea what got down in there. I'm going to clean them away from the cylinder walls and hope for the best. (there are many more close up shots in the rest of my picasa album.

One additional note... there is a reason people do motorcycle projects as "winter projects" or "summer projects"... it's because it takes so damn long to get parts. You never really know what you need till you start tearing things apart. When I bought this bike I figured a couple weeks of adjustments and clean up and she'd be good to go. Nope I have the motor out and apart... I'm going to be waiting two weeks for parts. I have no idea why it takes so long. Then I have to start putting it back together. In the mean time I'll get the fork seals done and the master cylinder that I bought of ebay installed.

No comments: