Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Valves are not fun...

After going back and fourth from the Ascot Yahoo Group and my bike for several days trying to figure out why it won't run on two cyclinders I have it running.... but it makes a hell of a lot of noise... too much noise if you know what I mean.

What follows is from my post at the Ascot Yahoo Group

Well after much tinkering, pondering and bugging of Neil (thank you) I think the ignition is working fine. I got her to fire up tonight and both pipes got hot so she was firing on all two. Still making a lot of racket though. So, per Neil's advice I decided to make sure the valves were adjusted right. I pulled the little covers off the number one valve cover and noticed that there were little dings in the cover.... weird. Then I noticed there was no lock nut on one of the intake valves... And so here we go... pull stuff off to make room... pull off the valve cover and start to look around and I find the nut... then the metal ring that goes on top of the spring but I couldn't find the stay (little part that holds it all together on the valve stem). I hit the Clymer manual and it looks like I have to pull the head to get that all back together. This raises a couple questions.

1. Is there a way to get this all back together without pulling the head?
2. Does that passage that the cam chain comes up go all the way to the bottom of the crank case? I'm guessing the stay might have made the journey!
3. Is there any other damage I should be looking for resulting from the parts floating around? FWIW: The nut and ring were pretty nicely stashed out of the way. No scratches or dings to speak of.

One other interesting note. Not only did the idiot that last adjusted these not tighten the nut enough, the other cearances are ZERO!!! I couldn't cram my smallest feeler in them let alone 0.1mm. I pulled the covers on the rear and all the hardware is in place there. I'm hoping once I get all the valves corrected this baby should purr...

Pretty stupid of the previous owner. He probably had no manual and no idea what he was doing. I'm feeling pretty good that I'll have her up and running shortly though.


Here is the money shot:


More Pics as usual at my picasa page.

No comments: