Monday, November 3, 2008

Blinkers Blink

Well the blinkers are up and running. I had to fabricate a longer stem for the new (smaller) front blinkers but it looks pretty good. It's not a stock look but I'm beginning to give up on the stock stuff. I've never been a restoration purist but I wanted a pretty stock machine. That was until I went out look for / buying replacement parts. The two pack of blinkers I bought were $25. The stock look blinkers (which were chrome instead of black) were $25 EACH SIDE. I'm cool with keeping costs down... and so is my wife!

Getting it all back together was a pretty interesting fight. I had repaired the speedometer but not yet installed it. So I had the blinkers, headlight and speedo to install. I first put the speedo back in place but it covers the mount bolts for the little metal brackets that hold the blinkers and headlight. So I had to pull it back off. This kind of thing went round and round for a while juggling parts. Finally got the headlight in and noticed it was crooked. Turns out a small tang that supports the previously mentioned "little metal brackets" was bent down slightly. Had to mess around with it very slowly and very carefully for a while to get it back in alignment. Once I did I started the parts installation dance again and eventually got everything back in a hooked up. When I tested everything.... no blink. I got it to blink after beating on the flasher relay a few times but it later stopped again. Looks like I'll have to replace that too.

Pics to come later.

No comments: