Monday, February 23, 2009

"I disappear for a couple days and you guys get all weepy?"

"Kara, you've been gone for over two months!" (Battlestar Galactica reference designed for 50% of my readership! And, approximate quote.)

I just posted my painting post when I looked back and realized how long its been since I last posted. Previous last post was November 24, 2008 and this latest post was February 23, 2009. Almost exactly three months. So I thought I would post again ( I know! I know!) about what happened in that two months.

Dec 08: Not much... got the motor torn down and discovered all the parts needed. Ordered them online. Then decided to tear down the rear head on the recomendation of the head shop guy (hehe) and added parts (for the rear) to my order. Snopocolyps 2008 happened and shot all my shipping to hell.

Jan 09: Finally got my parts mid January. I took small, infrequent opportunities to work on the motor. First step was get all the necassary parts for the head work (hehe) and get it all to the head shop (hehe). When I first talked with the guy he said he could probably do it in a day. When I finally got it to him his #2 shop guy (him being #1) had gone back to Mexico on vacation to see family. So he was backedup. It ended up being two weeks to get it done but he is a swell guy and did great work and was very helpful. As such I recomend him M&B Cylinder Heads. Not to mention the price was great. Originally quoted about $100 I went ahead and had him surface the heads for $40 extra. great work.

Feb 09: Putting it all back together. I took my time and again did an hour this day and an hour that. Finally got it all sealed up and decided to paint it. I painted the heads too, just blacked it out. Nice and glossy. I still haven't made up my mind on orange or deep grey for the tank and plastics but either way having two colors instead of three (black motor, polished heads, body color) it will just be black and color. Then I started the work on the frame. Most of that info is in the previous post.

That about sums it up. After assembly of what's torn down now all that remains is:
Required for road worthiness:
1. Fork Seals
2. Front brake pads
4. Replace brake and clutch levers (ordered)
5. Rebuild and install new(tome) master cylinder
6. Rebuilt license plate mount and lighting

Optional/Future:
1. Paint the tank and plastics
2. New/redone seat
3. Flashing brake light/additional brake lighting
4. Paint rear brake housing and rear springs

No comments: