Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Nothing new last night

Well I didn't work on the Ascot last night. Only vegged in front of the TV. I thought about getting the carbs on but it was later than usual for me to start and I didn't get much sleep the night before so I decided to veg for a while then go to bed.

The only real new content I have to offer is the question of color. I don't think I'll be painting the tank and other parts for a while but I have still been thinking about paint. Of course there are the two standard colors for this bike; red and black. But since I have not been doing a restoration but rather a revival (read the title of this blog!) I have felt a little latitude in how things look in the end. This is why I blacked out the motor.

So in the vein of color I was tossing around two main contenders: Atomic Orange and a deep grey.

The grey would probably be easier and cheaper since I would use a thick grey paint with no metalic or anything. Jut a shiny grey to contrast all the black on the bike. Here is a non-artists rendering of what this might look like.



The orange I am thinking of on the other hand is a deep burnt orange that is best summed up by the Corvette color Atomic Orange as seen here.


The reason I included the shot of the vette is clear once you look at my non-artists rendering of the Ascot in orange... you have to imagine all the tangerine parts as the vette color above.


So the Atomic Orange would probably be harder to paint but is more unique and makes hte bike stand out a little better (read safety). However the grey is more subdued and would probably be cheaper (non metallic) and easier (non-metallic).

Since I probably won't do any paint work (prep yes paint hell no!) till the summer (read my posts about the paint booth, garage, smell etc) I have put up a poll open till the fourth of July asking what color it should be. Let me know. And I may (or not) use your advice.

No comments: