Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Another Prickley Pearch

I was up till midnight again last night working on the beast. It started well. I got the hole tapped for the coil mount and got that all installed.

From Ascot


The problem came when I decided to put the new clutch lever on. I couldn't get it off the perch. The screw head is huge and my regular screwdriver kept slipping out. Oh and it's seized. I ended up pulling the whole perch/lever which necessatated my pulling the electrical box under the headlight and getting the left handlebar switches unhooked and removed from the bar. Oh that required unbolting the handle bar because there wasn't enough slack to slide electrical stuff off. CAN OF WORMS!!!

I present to you the carnage:
From Ascot


Then I spent a bunch (too much) time at the bench vise trying to convince the big screw it needed to come out... here is the big screw:
From Ascot


That didn't work so I flipped it over and cut off the remaining screw and tried to drill it out. (been doing that a lot lately) but the bit started to wander off the steel bolt and onto the aluminum parts (bad) so I stopped and here is where it rests:
From Ascot


I finally gave up and went inside to hit the Internet and see if I could just buy the part... NO! I's unique to the Ascot and not cheap new (if available) and I didn't find any used (ebay). Then it hit me this am... Its a screw that goes through the handle and has a bolt on the other side. I don't think it is "screwed" to the handle I'm trying to remove... I think it's pressed in. I should be able to hammer or press it back out. I'm going to put this to the Ascot Yahoo group to see what they wizards there say. Stay tuned...

As usual pics on the Picasa Page. (new ones start here)

No comments: