Friday, October 24, 2008

Day One of Digging In

Well tonight was my first night getting in and digging around. Seeing what works and what doesn't. This evening is a good news bad news story. First the good news...

I knew the front two turn signals were broken so I was kind of ready to replace them. I though I'd be able to rig them to last a little while but they are toast. Also only one (front left) lit up. No blinking no running lights... It's good news because after messing around with my test light for a while I got the blinkers working and figured out all the lighting issues. My main issue was the fuse box. Corrosion had built up between the fuse seats and the fuses. I just cleaned them all up with some mild sand paper and everything started working. The flasher relay was a little hesitant to work at first but after switching back and fourth for a while it started working fine. Been sitting a while.

The bad news. I had to pull the front headlight to get at the wiring and mounts for the turn signals. One of the first things I noticed when sitting on the bike is that the instruments seemed crooked and they moved a bit more than I thought they should. Since the back was exposed I decided to poke around. I found the problem... the back side of the speedometer is cracked... BAD! Everything seems to be working but that will have to be fixed. I began to disassemble as I went trying to get the instrument cluster off the bike. Once I did I removed the face glass and it pulled and stretched a very nasty gasket that was ready to fall to pieces. The plan will be to try to glue the crack and get everything back in working order. The hardest part will be getting it sealed up again since the gasket is toast.

Also pulled the tank and drained all the old gas. Looks like the tank has been coated/sealed inside and it looks like a home kit. :-) I removed the petcock and will clean it out later. I had to mangle the inlet screen because it was jammed in the hole due to the fact that the sealer had reduced the ID of the tube everything mounts too.

Upcoming Costs Confirmed:
New Petcock inlet screen and seal.
Two new front turn signal assemblies.
Epoxy!

Potential Costs:
New speedo/instrument cluster
New flasher
New petcock or rebuild kit

No comments: