Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Speedo Fix Is Done

Well I got the speedo fixed up pretty nice. It's not like new but it will work and be much better off than it was. The first step was dis assembly which can be seen in the previous post. I got some good epoxy in the little double tube dispenser and it seems to be a pretty good bond. I also added a small amount of silicone caulk to both sides of the instrument display gasket since it was in pretty bad shape. I have a seal that I thing will be strong but still removable. Basically what remains of the original seal is serving as a template to hold the silicone in place.























The only glitch I had was that the speedometer needle broke while I was messing around with the back. Just a bit off the tip. I tried in vein to glue the little tip back on and gave up. I did have to bend the little metal pole the needed rests on at zero back a bit so the needle didn't go below zero. I'll still be able to tell how fast I'm going.














The epoxy fix to the cracked housing went better than I expected. The stud for the mount is glued on very well and I doubled up another layer of epoxy over it after the first layer dried. As I said I sealed up the front fascia and all seems well. I put the cover back on after cleaning up the pieces a bit and it looks pretty good... not new but pretty good. The yellow part you see is a small piece of craft foam (stolen from my daughter, sorry Aley) to fill the gap and the epoxy is double layered over it.























More pics can be found at my picasa page.

NOTE: if you notice a slight green tinge to the silicone its because I was using a previously painted popsicle stick to push it around the inside of the gasket. :-)

No comments: